Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Can it Sista!

I'm not sure how long my brother and his wife have been canning beans and pickles (okra next year please) but their batches get better every year. Oooo, now that I start thinking about it they made this spicy pear compote that was awesome and another time they made apple chutney, it is apple season. Can you grow asparagus in Portland? Hint-hint.

Anyway, I am finally getting into the game. Brother helped me pick out the Ball canning kit and I feel pretty good about it. It came with a cook book but I couldn't help but to also buy Well Preserved, Evan told me to. I just love her.






So my first lesson was that you cannot can pesto. So after all this excitement and hoopla I will still be freezing the huge batch I am going to make this weekend.

Perhaps apple chutney is in my future.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Oooo that sounds great!! Congrats on your brother and his wife for canning so awesomly and for such a long time. I'm sure practice makes perfect and you'll get the hang of it in no time! I'd love to start maybe this holiday season, jsut have to find the time now! Maybe I'll check out the place where you got your stuff from and try it!

erica! said...

Yay! That's awesome Sasha! Haven't gotten around to apple/pear product yet this year. It's all cold and rainy now, so I guess it's time to start thinking about it. One year I picked a 100 degree day to make apple butter. A giant giant batch of it. That sucked. Heh.

bren philips said...

loved your apple butter eirca!