Monday, December 28, 2009

I Can!

My Brother who is always one step ahead of me is a canner. Him and his wife have been gifting us pickled beans and jelly for a few years now. I am finally ready to test the canning waters, or water bath as it were.

For my first attempt I pickled beets. They look beautiful in the jar but I suppose we wont know what they taste like for a few months. The Brother says wait for at least 3 months. It will be tough but I'll wait.

Yesterday we made 3 Citrus Marmalade from Well Preserved. This cookbook is neat because it not only gives you the canning recipe but then it give you 2 recipes for use of the canned goods. We did have a bit of trouble getting the temperature up to 220 as was recommended in the book. Ours jelled up just fine and looks beautiful in the jars.

Looking into the sport of canning (if you break a sweat its a sport) there seems to be lot more options if you are also pressure canning. Fish and meats can be canned the pressure way. For now we are going to use the water bath method. If anyone has any tips please leave them in the comments section.

Marmalade anyone?

No comments: