Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Home renovation runs in the family. This is an email from my sister-in-awesome. Wanted to share...
Well, we had a near flooring disaster over the weekend. Saturday, i realized that Ruby Lou's water machine had been slowly leaking in the corner of her pen and had soaked over six square feet of carpet over a time span of we guess over two weeks. Christian and I slept on the matter and then Sunday after football, we pulled the wet section back from the wall...We planned on pulling carpet out of office this summer, as we knew there were hardwoods underneath, but this new development prompted immediate removal. The carpet smelled when we took up a section and also, the wood beneath was starting to rot!
After removing office carpet, we were able to better see what was under living area carpet. We knew there was nasty cork tile, but we thought it was glued directly to wood...We discovered that it was instead glued to 3/16" board (like peg board) that was nailed to the hardwoods below. We carefully pulled some up and realized the floor below was fine and decided...what the hell! So, Sunday and all of Monday was spend pulling up every last bit of carpet left in the house. Hooray! It was really hard work (the carpet was easy, the board and many nails affixing it was not) but, considering the circumstances, the floors look awesome! Can't wait to refinish them this summer!